Thursday, April 2, 2020

Google access Email sent to parents

I sent this to emails.  Some content has been edited out from here for privacy, so refer to your email first please

By now you have received your child's Gmail name and password
The simple way they should be able to access Google meet is:
Step 1  Go into their google Gmail account using their name and password that was sent to parent emails separately
for those unfamiliar once you go to google.com there will be a little dotty waffle at the top right, when you click that, you will see a list of choices and that is one way to get to your Gmail, by choosing the mail icon
Step 2  At 10:30 am on Friday April 3rd, open the invite in your mailbox, that should have come from me
Step 3  Students should just be able to click the link right there to take them directly to our chat

If that does not work to get in - please check your email 
Step 1 Take a deep breath, meetings can be joined at any time we will be on for half an hour!  
Step 2 On your Google page where there is a little dotty waffle at the top right, click on those dots
Step 3 Choose the green camera Google meet icon
Step 4 Click on Join a meeting, or if you see an option to join the meeting already named, just click on it
Step 5 If you get a blank box, when you click join a meeting, then type in our nickname for this meeting, which is has been sent to student gmail accounts - if this is confusing please read this same information in your email, as there is access information I cannot share here.

Once you are in:
Usually the first thing you see is your own face!
Then you click -  join now
Please click at the bottom of your screen as soon as you join, and choose microphone to MUTE yourself
Students can unmute when they are going to talk
I am asking students to mute so that they will be able to hear me talk

Important Guidelines!
1. Try to be in a quiet area
2.  Wear clothing!
3.  Smile!
4.  Be patient!
5.  Wave all you want, but MUTE while others are talking
6.  I understand that if students have headphones that can help with other noise on their end
7. I will say hello, good morning and make sure I greet students as I see them join, but for the most part this is just a chance to say "hi" and see each other briefly

BREATH DEEPLY
I am just learning this too and did a meeting set up for my team today - they all got into the meeting I set and I ended up in a different window meeting... LAUGH OUT LOUD.. I eventually found my way!  And you will too
Please assure your children that we will all TRY our best, but don't worry if it just doesn't work out this time!  
Mistakes will happen 
We will try again another day just so that students at least get a chance to try and to see me and we hear each other hopefully.
Google meet will not be a regular expectation, but as I suspect there may be glitches, I will see about trying to set another one up for another time... right now this was organized by our school admin to hopefully optomize time and availability for parents working at home, and families with higher priorities right now, as well as for multiple child/grade families and all of us just trying to cope with a new reality.  
Moving forward we will mainly ask you to access Google classroom, which I am still in the process of organizing and setting up, as this is about a Team planning approach and we are trying our best to understand how to do all of this efficiently and effectively to best support families!  
If you are unfamiliar, all your google platforms are accessed the same way described above - in that waffle, click, choose whatever google app you are looking for - google classroom is in there as well, but not available to students until Monday the 6th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google access Email sent to parents

I sent this to emails.  Some content has been edited out from here for privacy, so refer to your email first please By now you have rec...